Khawaja to replace Marsh for fourth ODI, confirms Warner

08:09

David Warner, on Tuesday (August 30), confirmed Usman Khawaja will walk into the playing XI in place of Shaun Marsh for the fourth One-Day International against Sri Lanka. Marsh has been ruled out of the remainder of the tour after he broke his finger during the training session ahead of the clash. Khawaja, who averaged just 13.75 after he managed 55 runs in two Tests, will see this as an opportunity to gain some confidence and accumulate runs in subcontinent conditions. Warner acknowledged that Khawaja has been working hard in the nets and hoped he can return to form. "It was a difficult time for everyone, not just Usman himself," Warner said. "We all have to have a bit of a reality check sometimes in regards to the way we play our game. It's such a tough environment to be over here. Unfortunately he did get dropped from the Test series. He took that very, very well. He's been training his backside off in the nets. "He's been doing everything he can to put his hand up for selection. He accepts that he didn't have the runs on the board and he's been doing everything he can to get back in the team. I'm really looking forward to seeing him come out and play the way he does. He scored a lovely 90 in the Caribbean and he played fantastic there, I'm hoping he can come out here and do the same thing tomorrow." Things haven't been different for Warner either. After a lean run in the three-match Test series, he has managed scores of 8, 1 and 10 in the three ODIs so far. The Australian stand-in captain, however, seemed unperturbed with the sting of low scores. "That's just what happens with cricket. Sometimes you're in form, sometimes you're not. I feel like I'm hitting the ball well. I've had some good dismissals, I've had a couple of poor shots here and there. "But that's the challenge you face over here in these conditions. You always have to back your game plan and back your skills. Every time I've gone out there, I've done that. Unfortunately I haven't got the runs on the board that are necessary. I'll be aiming to come out here and play my role as I normally do, try and have that intent from ball one." With Steve Smith being rested for the remainder of the tour, the onus was on Warner to lead the team to a series win. After leading his side to a 2-1 lead with a two-wicket win over Angelo Mathews and his team, Warner gushed he loved leading the side. "I loved every minute of it," he said. "I feel that the guys have taken it on board very, very well. You always have the respect from your peers, which is always fantastic. And I felt that the guys did everything I asked of them in the last game, and everything I've asked of them at training. They've done everything I've asked for, and I couldn't be any more pleased."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Subscribe